Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

More on Edible Forest Gardens

I know that Jennifer has already posted several videos related to forest gardening, but while looking around at other topics, I stumbled back on some related articles.  After reading for a while, my enthusiasm was peaked and I’m going to bog you down with some more potential information on the subject. 

I spent a lot of the morning thinking about where on our property would be the ideal location.  We have eighteen acres, it shouldn’t be too hard, right?  What I have come up with (and not told my husband yet) is that our front yard is the perfect spot!  It is close enough for the kids and I to monitor and water easily, gets plenty of morning sun, some afternoon shade and must have decent soil because everything I stick out there seems to thrive.  The only problem is that we already have more than a dozen ornamental trees there and they’re just too lovely for me to dig up.  This is where our plum trees flourish though, as well as some mint (and roses, and irises, and chrysanthemums).   You may be getting the idea that the yard is pretty full.  I’m still working out the details in my mind, but am sure that it can be successfully done.  The result will be a combination of bountiful harvest and flowering beauty.  How’s that for a goal?

Do I have you interested yet?  Here are the links that energized my thoughts last night.  The reading is lengthy and can get a little heavy, but it’s well worth the time.


I hope I have provided some food for thought! 

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Sounds interesting. Do you think this could be done in our pecan orchard?

Michele Cowan said...

Although I'm still learning, I don't see right off why it wouldn't work. Many sights recommend fruit trees for the top layer, but I think that's primarily because of the food they provide. If the pecan trees are already established, I bet you could plant fruit bushes, shrubs and shade loving vegetables and herbs amongst them and have them thrive. If you try it, let us know how it turns out!

Jennifer Capestany said...

I agree with Michele that it's certainly worth a try, especially since you already have a gorgeous canopy already established!
One thing to consider is what you have already growing under those trees. They'll give you information on what kind of plants are needed for the soil health, since they're already working synergistically with the pecan trees. Once you figure out what purpose those plants have, you can begin substituting in an edible alternative that serves that same purpose.
If I've just confused you, then post here some of the plants that you see growing in the pecan grove, and I'll see if I can come up with an example of the craziness I'm talking about. :)

Sharon said...

Makes sense to me, Jennifer. And Michele, I think planting fruit bushes under the pecans might work really nicely. Thanks for the inspiration.