Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Growing Herbs in the Kitchen

Just because the cold weather has arrived doesn’t mean you have to give up fresh herbs. Growing many herbs year-round in the kitchen is easy and can add beauty to your kitchen as well as wonderful flavors to your food.

Most herbs can easily be started from seeds. Just place them is well drained soil like you would any other seed you were trying to sprout. Coming up with just the right pot can be a lot of fun too. I let the kids jazz up some clay pots. Having the kids decorate them for you not only gives them a creative outlet, but it can also get them interested in gardening. My kids love to see plants growing in pots they have painted for me. Keep the seeds in a window if possible, but keep them close enough that you don’t forget about them when you cook!

Basil, rosemary, thyme and parsley are only a few of the herbs you can grow in the kitchen, and some are ready to harvest in as little as six weeks. That means you could be using fresh grown herbs before the spring planting season begins. Many herbs will grow for years once started, and the flavor of fresh herbs just can’t be beat by the dried herbs you buy in the store. If you have a few extra minutes, give it a try!

2 comments:

Sharon Reece said...

I always bring at least one basil plant in from outside to have over the winter. This year I ended up with both sweet basil and some Thai basil that came up by itself. Now I need to get busy and plant some of the others!
How about pictures of the pots?

Michele Cowan said...

This is my first year to try growing my own herbs, so I hope I have as much success as you're having.

I'll get right on those pictures - The kids will love to see their artwork displayed online!