Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hi

Hello everyone. I'm Michele, Jenn's Texoma land friend. I do like to garden, and learning how to do it properly around here has been an ongoing experiment. Although I live here in black mud country, my soil problem stems from the fact that the rock is only a few inches below the surface in a lot of the garden. We plow it up each year and pick out the largest chunks. The older half of the garden is starting to look pretty good now, but the half we plowed up new last year is still a rocky mess. I'll get the kids busy in a few weeks when it dries up and we're preparing the soil. We're trying some new fertilizer this year. Ash from the fireplace and rabbit and chicken droppings. Sounds nice, huh? No much fun to work with, but if I'm going to deal with the mess anyway, my garden might as benefit from it. I'll let you know how it goes.

I love this time of year. It's still cold (which I don't like at all), but you know spring is just around the corner because every farm, ranch, garden, or lumber store you go into will have onion bulbs out. They do go fast, and I only got a small bunch last year. That's ok, because like Jenny said, they grow great. The kids and I stuck them in our poor, rocky ground and up they grew. No fertilizer or bagged soil for them, but they still grew fat and happy. Now if only I could get the corn to grow so nicely. I'm working on it and will keep you posted!

Happy gardening. I look forward to sharing what I learn throughout the year with you!

No comments: