Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Beautiful Blossoms and Frosty Weather


Do you notice all the beautiful blossoms on that tree?  Those are our plum blossoms!  It looks like it could be another bumper crop – except for the fact that the weather shows lows of 31° over this coming weekend.  Houston, we have a problem!  Since I’m not ready to lose our crop over a couple of cold nights (at least not without a fight), I’ve been looking online for ideas.  Our two plum trees probably don’t warrant a smudge pot, so what to do...  

Here is a website that describes several ideas that the kids and I might try:


I like the idea of Christmas lights and regular old incandescent light bulbs the best.   My husband has suggested getting the space heaters out and plugging them in near the trees too.  I don’t know how much that will help with the upper branches, but I guess it won’t hurt.  Buckets of water and a sprinkling the lawn are also on the list.  

Doing all of these things for a temperature that is barely below freezing might seem like overkill, but I don’t trust the weatherman 100%.  It might get a little colder than forecast.  Of course it might not either, but we like plums fresh off the tree and look forward to the jelly we make from these plums all year long.  We also use them to barter with our buddies for their delicious spring crops!  All in all, I’d rather hedge my bets as best I can rather than risk losing the crop to old man winter.

If you’ve got things in bloom too, good luck!

No comments: