Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Beautiful Day in Texas


Here’s a warning right off the bat – this little rambling paragraph or two has no actual gardening information in it.  Nor does it have any ideas on how to improve your garden or your yard.  I won’t nag you about mulching or weeding.  I’m only here today to share my thoughts on a beautiful Texas day.  So, you’ve been warned!

Well, it looks like spring is here.  Everywhere I turn outside, something is in bloom.  The weather is perfect and it’s a joy just being alive.  A pessimist will point out that summer is not far away, and with it the furnace like heat.  A pessimist will point out that mosquito and tick season will soon be upon us.  They’ll point out mowing and weeding and a slew of other mundane tasks.  Oh, but I’m the eternal optimist.  I can only look upon a day like today with gladness in my heart, throwing my face up to the sun and knowing that all is good.  Life, in all of it’s wonderful forms, is all around us.    The trees are blooming, seeds are sprouting, animals are showing their faces again after the lull that winter brought.  I’m even smirking at the rabbits, having built a fence around the garden.   This is the time of year that I convince myself that all will be better than last year.  I’ll keep the garden watered and weeded.  I’ll get the seeds in on time, make the jelly, and can the vegetables.  Nothing will go to waste and I’ll be supermom.  Even on a day like today, I can’t quite convince myself that I’ll keep the house clean, but I have big plans for the yard and gardens.  If every day was like today, I’d be the gardener of the year, in great shape and always smiling.  I know every day won’t be like today, but for now my hopes are high for whatever tomorrow might bring. 

If you haven’t taken the time to go enjoy this day, then do it now.  This is one of the best times to live in North East Texas, so take advantage of it.  You’ll be glad you did!

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Hey gardening ladies! I am here in your area and have 11 hens that roost on top of a large dog crate. This makes it super easy to remove and bag their manure. There is very little straw or shavings in it, and I have 2 forty pound feed bags full from over the winter. I garden very little, so anyone that might like to contact me can have it if they pick it up. We are in the Iowa Park area. Here is my email vsoejoto@hotmail.com

Michele Cowan said...

Hi Vickie. Thanks for the offer - I sent you an email regarding it.

Thanks for reading! Michele