Pages

Monday, June 6, 2011

If You Can't Take the Heat, Get Outta My Front Yard!

I just spent the morning and early afternoon weeding and then planting in about 10 lantana bushes into the large flower bed in the front of the house.  And also one leftover lamb's ear, but he didn't take long.  I am beat!
The flower bed along the front walk and the large rectangular flower bed that it leads to has been a west-facing work in progress ever since I moved into this house.  It would take more fingers and toes than I own to count the number of plants that I've lost to the aggressive, drying afternoon sun that the front of the house endures. Even happy marigolds and petunias burn up!
Over the years I've been learning which are the performers to trust on the west side of the house.  These guys have been consistent sun-loving performers who can take the heat.  So far these are:  roses (need water), lamb's ear, moss rose (portulacas), yellow lavendar, butterfly bush, russian sage, morning glory (yeah you heard me, but it NEEDS WATER), and now, hopefully, lantana and salvia. 
Barb and Dave over at Sweetwater Farm Greenhouse have been helping me figure out this difficult area.  The lamb's ear was their idea, and it might be the most successful one yet.  Lamb's ear needs very little to perform big.  It doesn't care about the heat, and, as long as you give it water, will spread like wildfire.  I love the soft, fuzzy leaves.
Since that turned out to be such a great recommendation, I didn't hesitate to try out their latest:  lantana and salvia.  I knew salvia to be a very xeric plant, but the burning heat could be another story.  I planted two a couple weeks ago.  The jury is still out on them.  The lantana, usually an annual, I just got into the ground today.  I've always loved the color and performance of lantana.  I'll report back on how it fares in my death trap of a flower bed.
In the meantime though, it's straight to the pool with me!  Hoo!  That's enough work for one day.

No comments: