Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

Peach Preserves - Yum! And Other Things....

I'm trying my meatball recipe again tonight, only this time using Michele's peach preserves. I believe it must be basically the same recipe she uses for her wild plum jelly, though I noticed some peach chunks in it. Here's a link to her original post on jelly making: Link! Well, I tried some straight from the jar, and these preserves are DELICIOUS! She is definitely getting tapped to tutor me in the fine art of canning this season!

I'm still waiting for my big seed haul to arrive. I don't intend to start the seeds until early February. I had a problem last year with late frosts. The weather was too cold to put my seed trays out in the warm sun. I don't have a great sun spot for seed trays or a grow light (yet). Consequently, some of my seedlings grew "leggy" (long and skinny, kind of like alfalfa sprouts) and ended up in the compost pile, too weak to survive Texoma's winds and spring rains. So despite receiving several emails from plant selling companies advising me to start now, I'm holding off a bit longer.

The warehouse depots in our area are selling seeds and bulbs right now. I know that Michele already picked up her onion bulbs, and I think I'll do the same. Onions are about the easiest thing you can grow round these parts, and so tend to be in high demand. They sell off pretty quickly, so you may want to grab yours while you can. Just store them in a dry place for now. You can get them in the ground even in cold weather, though I usually like to wait until the danger of frost is gone. But onions are very, very hardy and can take a lot of abuse.

Whup, I hear the water boiling for the egg noodles. Must run. Looking forward to dinner tonight!



No comments: